'Tis the season for traveling! Whether the holidays bring you across the ocean for several weeks or to a new city for a quick weekend getaway, there are certain staples that you'll want to remember to pack. After countless trips of forgetting basic items here and there, I've finally created the ultimate packing list so I don't forget to bring anything crucial. Here is my list of packing essentials for the savvy female traveler:
Of course these are just the basics - if you plan on doing any outdoorsy things or are going somewhere especially hot or cold, you'll want to pack accordingly! Or if you're one of those people who hit the gym every morning on vacation, you can add work out gear to your list. (I'll applaud you from afar, ya psychos.) And don't forget something to store your dirty clothes in - I always bring an empty pillow case with a dryer sheet inside!
Still not quite sure what to pack? Here's the run down on my favorite travel essentials:
1. When I fly, I always carry a cashmere scarf as a make-shift blanket. Airplanes are notoriously chilly, but the blankets provided by the airlines can really trouble my inner-germaphobe. Plus, if you're packing for autumn or winter, you can never bring too many scarves!
2. A cozy sweater for layering is a must. Despite the fact that I'm generally cold on airplanes, those few experiences where I've felt as if I were melting have taught me that layering is the only solution to varying airplane temperatures. Casual tee + loose fitting sweater = problem solved. This also applies to cheap hostels with unpredictable heating and cooling systems.
3. Tokyo Milk Gin & Rosewater Shea Butter Lotion is the most delicious smelling hand lotion I've ever owned. Not only does it smell heavenly, but it also does a pretty good job of keeping my hands moisturized during long flights and cold weather.
4. Thank you, Parisian purse gods. My Longchamp Le Pliage Tote has been my trusty sidekick for over three years now, and it is my absolute saving grace. It can fit just about anything inside - and after all of our adventures, it's still in decent condition. This bag is a must for when you need to stuff as much as possible into one carry-on, or when you need a make-shift camera bag while sightseeing.
5. I can't get enough of Fresh Sugar Lip Balm, my favorite lip color for on-the-go. Subtle and understated, these are perfect for powering through travel days without looking like a zombie. I alternate between the Berry and Coral colors when I'm going for the
I'm still half asleep minimalist look. (Which is basically every day that I have to wake up before 8 am.)
6. I will never, ever understand the people who wear heels when they travel. For me, comfort > style every time. (... which is why I'm not a fashion blogger.) On long flights, you can find me wearing my moccasins... that is, my moccasins that bear an uncanny resemblance to slippers. Some might even go as far to say that they actually are slippers. Your call.
7. Packing Rule #1: always bring extra socks! Since my feet are always cold on planes (and in general), I always carry a spare pair of socks in my purse to whip out once I buckle my seatbelt. No shame.
8. Pretty iPad cases make me feel chic even when I'm reading the nerdiest of books. Plus, they're helpful for when you need to cram as much stuff as possible into your carry-on, but you don't want to scratch your tablet. (Because who knows what will end up in the chaotic abyss that is my Longchamp?)
What are your travel essentials?
Would you add anything to this packing list?